Dr. Ronald VanderLaan provides his patients in Grand Rapids, MI, with personalized cardiovascular care to help improve their life and health.
What is heart disease?
"Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. More than half of the deaths due to heart disease in 2009 were in men," according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which means more than 600,000 people die of heart disease in the USA, that's 1 in every 4 deaths.
What types of heart diseases are there?
There are many different types including:
- Heart attack
- Heart valve disease
- Heart failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
What are ways to prevent heart disease?
There are several ways to prevent heart disease, just ask your Grand Rapids doctor.
- You need to try to control your blood pressure because high blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease. Make sure you have your blood pressure checked regularly.
- If you don't keep your cholesterol and triglyceride controlled. High levels of cholesterol clog your arteries and the risk of you suffering from coronary artery disease and heart attack.
- You have to maintain a healthy weight because being overweight increases your risk for heart disease. So make sure you have a healthy diet composed of fruits and vegetables, and get regular exercise.
- Don't smoke cigarettes and manage stress by exercising, listening to music, and/or focusing on staying calm.
- If you suffer from diabetes, you need to speak with your doctor about how to manage it to protect damaging blood vessels and nerves.
- Getting quality sleep is a requirement. Most adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep to function properly. If you suffer from sleep issues, like sleep apnea, you need to tell address the issue as soon as possible.
If you have any questions and/or concerns about heart disease, make sure you contact Dr. Ronald VanderLaan in Grand Rapids, MI, at (616) 747-5141 today!