Every year in the U.S., approximately 735,000 Americans suffer from a heart attack. Further, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that heart disease is the leading cause of death among men and women in the U.S. These findings underscore the importance of proper cardiac care. At Grand Rapids Cardiology, Dr. Ronald VanderLaan is your cardiologist for cardiac care in Grand Rapids, MI.
Heart Health and Health Conditions
Maintaining a healthy heart is important for your overall health. When heart health is compromised, a number of health problems can develop. Examples of health problems associated with poor heart health include:
- Hypertension — high blood pressure
- Atherosclerosis — hardening of the arteries
- Cardiomyopathy — disease that affects the heart’s ability to pump blood
- Angina — chest pain caused by diminished blood flow to the heart
- Heart attack — occurs when blood flow to a section of the heart is blocked
- Stroke — heart problems can increase the risk of stroke
Factors that increase a person’s risk for developing heart disease and related conditions include being overweight or obese, having diabetes, excessive alcohol consumption, a poor diet, and a lack of physical activity. Seeing a cardiologist regularly for cardiac care in Grand Rapids, MI is an important part of caring for your heart. A cardiologist can monitor your heart health and help you implement lifestyle changes to promote a healthier heart and reduce your risk of heart-related health problems.
Proper Cardiac Care
There are several things a person can do to improve heart health and reduce the risk of developing health problems such as hypertension, atherosclerosis, or heart disease. Steps that can be taken to improve heart health and reduce the risk of a heart attack include:
- Eating a nutritious diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables
- Lowering blood cholesterol by reducing consumption of trans and saturated fats
- Lowering high blood pressure by reducing salt intake
- Engaging in moderate exercise for 30 minutes daily
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Avoiding smoking
- Reducing stress
Proper cardiac care can also include certain medications prescribed by your doctor. For example, medications are available for lowering blood pressure or cholesterol levels when lifestyle changes alone are not enough.
Proper cardiac care is important for maintaining a healthy heart and reducing your risk of developing heart disease or suffering a heart attack. A cardiologist can help you maintain better heart health. For cardiac care in Grand Rapids, MI, schedule an appointment with Dr. VanderLaan by calling Grand Rapids Cardiology at (616) 717-5141.